Emergency Dispatcher Cover Letter
Emergency dispatchers are people who take emergency calls for the police, ambulance and such other services. These people have to take calls and dispatch the emergency services on immediate basis. For becoming an emergency dispatcher an individual needs to have a high school diploma along with some on-job training.
While you are applying for this position as emergency dispatcher you will have to clear the civil service examination. Other than this, you will also need a cover letter that will introduce you to the prospective employers. Remember that cover letter is a way of making a positive first impression and this can actually decide if you get a job or not.
While writing a cover letter make sure that you get to the point in the first paragraph itself. Try to avoid small talks, craft a letter with all your specifications. You must always focus on the needs of the specific organization and not on your requirements as a job seeker. As an emergency dispatcher you must visit the website of the prospective company and then mention your skills and experience as per the organization.
Here is a sample emergency dispatcher cover letter to give you a better idea on how you need to write it.
Your Contact Information
173 Volturri Lane
E-mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employer Contact Information
Mr. Richard Fable
Medicaid Travel Agency
2736 Victory Street
Date: June 18, 2011
Dear Mr. Fable,
I am writing this letter for expressing my interest in working for the position of emergency dispatcher, which is advertised by your organization. I am sure that I have all the skills that you are seeking at Medicaid Travel Agency for fulfilling this job. Earlier, I have worked as a customer care executive as well as some other fields, which will helped me in carrying out the position of emergency dispatcher.
A short summary of my background will let you know how I can be a useful asset for Medicaid Travel Agency, I have:
- More than five years of experience in working as a telephone dispatcher
- Excellent ability in working in an environment that is constantly changing and demanding. Sound ability in making the right decisions in critical situations for the growth the of the organization
- Vast experience in the computer and communication technologies
I am looking forward to meeting you in person for further discussion on how my qualifications, training and experience will be beneficial for your organization. Please contact me at 847-384-2847, or you can email me as well at email@example.com.
This is how you need to draft your cover letter. However, some things to avoid are:
- Never give salary information unless you are asked for it
- Address the letter recipient by anything besides the person's name. Avoid "Dear Sirs" by all means
- Never write a cover letter that looks copied from a book or looks too generic
- Make sure that there are no grammatical errors or typos in your cover letter
- Never cram too much information in very little space and never contradict your cover letter as well
911 Dispatcher Cover Letter
911 Dispatchers are a vital part of emergency response teams; their role is to answer incoming emergency calls and send the appropriate responders to the scene. Typical duties of a 911 Dispatcher include: taking phone calls, choosing appropriate codes for the information they receive, determining call priority level, monitoring the location of the emergency service staff, maintaining communication with callers, using computer equipment, maintaining call logs, and training junior dispatchers.
Those interested in a 911 Dispatcher job should be able to highlight the following qualifications throughout their cover letters:
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Being able to follow instructions
- Fast thinking and decision-making abilities
- Being able to work under pressure
- A clear speaking voice
- Logic and problem-solving abilities
- Computer competences
Below is displayed an example cover letter highlighting similar 911 Dispatcher skills and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive 911 Dispatcher Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a 911 Dispatcher, check out our more complete 911 Dispatcher Job Description.
Dear Mr. Griffith:
Upon learning of Randolph County’s need for a 911 Dispatcher, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. As a sound decision-maker and a skilled professional with more than 12 years of experience responding to emergency calls and communicating crucial information to mobile units in Blackbridge County, WV, I would significantly benefit your team in this role.
Having recently relocated to the Randolph County area, I am excited about the prospect of putting my previous experience as a 911 Dispatcher to use for benefit of the region. From addressing caller concerns and relaying messages to dispatching fire/EMS/police and maintaining detailed records, my background has been characterized by my commitment to optimizing efficiency and making smart decisions. My proven ability to remain calm under pressure, along with my exceptional interpersonal and multitasking abilities, prepares me to excel in this position.
Please consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Recognized as Dispatcher of the Year on four separate occasions and earned numerous commendations from both law enforcement and the general public in Blackbridge County, WV.
- Adhering to all medical protocol in giving BLS information to emotionally distraught callers via phone.
- Developing and introducing updated policies and procedures for the dispatch center to measurably improve efficiency, productivity, and caller experiences.
- Handling emergency calls effectively in a fast-paced and challenging dispatching center.
With my record of success in managing dispatch calls, coupled with my superior communication and time management skills, I am sure to exceed your expectations and make a positive impact on Randolph County’s emergency services. I look forward to discussing the position in detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.